- Winter 2007 Begin to talk about "starting a family".
- March 2007 Our one month of TTC (too much stress!) - decide to pray about how God wants us to begin our family.
- Spring/Summer 2007 Make decision to adopt.
- July 2007 Call Bethany Christian Services in NJ and send in preliminary application; assigned to our social worker "J".
- August 8, 2007 First meeting at agency (receive full application packet).
- August 2007 Fill out tons of paperwork (including dreaded "matching form") and return it by beginning of September.
- September/October 2007 Individual interviews @ agency.
- October 2007 Get fingerprints done
- November 2007 My fingerprints get returned because they are "smudged" - have to have them redone. K's fingerprints cleared.
- January 15, 2008 Final visit by J to our home. Home study complete; just waiting on my fingerprint clearance.
- January 28, 2008 Fingerprint clearance received @ agency. Officially "waiting".
- February 2008 Matched with Birth-mother (on hold for 4 weeks).
- March 2008 Birth-mother changes mind, back in the "pool".
- April 17, 2008 Profile sent to North Carolina Bethany office because of need for families open to full-African American infants.
- April 23, 2008 KJ born in Raleigh, NC.
- April 24, 2008 Get the "call". When can we get to NC?
- May 2, 2008 After TPR meet our son in NC.
- May 7, 2008 ICPC approved - leave for home!
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
So, many folks want to know when you started the process, how long it took, when you were approved, when you were placed, etc. etc. so I thought I would jot some of it down here. All in all I don't remember all of the exact dates. Some people have super-duper memory or something because I see a list of very exact things, with very exact dates! Well, we took the "fly by the seat of your pants" approach to adoption I guess, because I was not so... well, exact! But generally speaking here's our journey: